Reub's journey

16 February 2012

Three cats behind

Photo from wimp.com
 I'm a tiger and I'm 3 cats behind. Cheetah, puma, jaguar, panther, tiger, leopard, snow leopard and lion: these are the names of the Mac operating systems.


Photo from Wild Dangerous Animals
My computer is now 5 or 6 years old, which in dog years is a mere 42-ish. But computers age even faster than dogs, and there have been messages for the past 18 months:

Mid 2010:
"Miss, your version of iPhoto  needs to be updated."


Early 2011:
"Ma'am, your version of iPhoto has not been updated and Apple will not support it."


Mid 2011:
"Hey old lady! Your version of iPhoto sucks and you cannot edit videos, nor will Kodak continue to support your ability to make prints from your pictures."

End of 2011:
"CRONE!!!! You are a relic and can no longer update iPhoto. Same goes for iTunes! Why haven't you been updating? It's too late now. Even Spotify won't have you after February 2012."


Trash icon

2012: "Hello Dead One. Forget jumping from Tiger to Lion. You must erase yourself, and purchase a new operating system."


It seems unkind. Besides, I like the idea of being a Tiger and not a Lion. Didn't Apple consider that? I hear that they have dibs on the remaining big cat names: "Cougar" and "Lynx."  Lynx is kind of cool, but I want to avoid being a Cougar. 

Go ahead. Google "lady cougar."

I just offered a savvy eighth grade girl ten bucks to NOT MENTION to younger students what the slang meaning of "cougar" (my middle school's mascot) means. She didn't take the $10 because either she didn't take me seriously or because she's already blabbed about it everywhere.

Anyway, sometime soon I'm going to have to lose my Tiger stripes and become a Lion. Not sure how to do it. However I must do this before they announce that "cougar" is their next operating system.

10 comments:

  1. THIS MADE ME DIE LAUGHING!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Very amusing. I never gave a 2nd thought to the operating system's name! Although I became a Lion last summer...never thought about it one way or the other til now. I wonder what they will do when they run out of cat names.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, this (funny though it is) made me cry. My ibook G4 passed away in the fall before I had taken all my poems off it. They won't fix it. I am getting a new ibook soon, in the meantime I am using Barry's old PC. I so miss my dashboard and my itunes..... it's just not the same on a PC. I want to get apple tv like my daughter has. Apple has the only cats I am not allergic to. I'm saving up. Thanks for sharing this Kerry. =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I woke my husband up last night to read it to him! FANTASTIC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very funny! I think all us apple folk can relate. Mine keeps telling me that there is a new version of iPhoto but they ain't just giving it away, can't just download the newer version. they want me to pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. twg:You know I didn't realize it was funny until deciding to write it:)

    Rebecca: I wonder what they'll do when they run out of cats too! Will they start up with dogs?

    Linda: Awww, that's terrible. There's no way to retrieve information from it? I wonder. But yours is a cautionary tale, which reminds me to back up stuff that matters (I have an external hard drive for that), and to go ahead and get a new operating system. Also have Mozy, which backs up everything, every night.
    What's the Apple tv like?

    Laoch: ;o)

    Patience: Poor Bill!!! btw, I really like his illustrations for your book: great line drawings.

    Ellen: Yeah, my problem has been that I only do the free updates, not the ones that cost anything. Obviously it hasn't been enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found this post really amusing. Permit me to share this interesting definition of Cougar which I picked up from the net:
    Quote-A 35+ year old female who is on the "hunt" for a much younger, energetic, willing-to-do-anything male. The cougar can frequently be seen in a padded bra, cleavage exposed, propped up against a swanky bar in San Francisco (or other cities)waiting, watching, calculating; gearing up to sink her claws into an innocent young and strapping buck who happens to cross her path. "Man is cougar's number one prey"-Unquote ( Hope you are not offended:))
    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a nice comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. RR: Yep! That's the definition I offered $10 to not be repeated!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha.. very clever. I'm fairly far behind, also. I'm sitting with my Leopard despite having Snow Leopard ready to install for the last few years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hilary: You might be able to jump to Lion from Leopard & skip Snow Leopard altogether. But a Tiger cannot:(

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.