Reub's journey

24 June 2014

Lying


Truth is by far the best. But  small lies, now, they are tricky little gems. 

I'm fine... 

Naaah, I'm just tired... 

I have read and agreed to the terms and conditions...



Exaggerations are sort of like lies, and we bloggers do it constantly. I understand and appreciate it, usually. For example, I take okay photos, but they aren't Pulitzer prize winners. They aren't "great," although it makes me happy when people say so. However I would improve faster if somebody said "you should have cropped the bottom 1/3 & raised the exposure." That would be welcome and helpful.



Once I read a post in which the guy talked about how he lost a  dog as a child, and he and his mom lived near a busy road, so...yeah he was sad because he imagined the worst outcome. He was probably right. But I said:

I was driving along that highway 20 years ago, and I saw a dog meeting your description. You're right! She was in the road. I pulled over. I was surprised when she came to me...I put her in my car because I didn't know what else to do. It started to rain, so I took her home & brought her in the house. What a nice dog, playful and friendly. We kept her. She slept at the foot of the bed. She lived a long and happy life. She died in her sleep when she was 15 years old. I never knew she was your dog. I hope you're alright with this.

It was a lie, but it may have been close to the truth. Was that wrong?


We all tell lies, every day of our lives. Some are big and bad, and some are small and good.



20 comments:

  1. There is a big difference in telling lies and making up great stories. I think it is called embellishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a difference. It's kind of funny though, that when I was little I remember being asked "Are you telling stories or did that really happen?"

      Delete
  2. hmmmm... i'd give you advice for photos if i had any knowledge to give. i'm a complete novice, and that's no lie. i try to find something good to say about a post and give someone a 'kudos' rather than maybe a stronger negative feeling that comes up. little shades of gray, but hopefully it spreads more joy than pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always positive when you leave comments, always looking for a good point to make on what you have read, and I value that. You're a great commenter.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes "little white lies" are better than the brutal hard truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without little white lies some days would be quite hard.

      Delete
  4. I guess it depends on the motivation behind the lie, what you are trying to accomplish with it. Or if it is a total fabrication or embellished truth, or truth without some of the pertinent details. Oh, many shades of gray in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The motivation factor is huge. Truth with the intent to hurt someone is far worse than a small lie to ease pain.

      Delete
  5. I truly don't lie much although sometimes it is preferable. On flickr when everyone is praising an ordinary photo, I try to find something else to say. I did lie about this today though, twice: "I have read and agreed to the terms and conditions..." However, I think we're expected to lie about that since it's mainly for legal protection of the site or software. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AC, honestly I don't lie much either! Just a little...and when I do I am acutely aware of it.

      Delete
  6. I rarely feel compelled to tell someone else how to present their photos. Photography is art and art is so subjective. Besides, I enjoy encouraging others. Now those little lies that hide how I'm feeling if someone asks me how I am?: guilty. lol I figure no one has time for how I REALLY feel. Ya know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good answer, Gail. I guess I wouldn't dream of telling somebody how to change their photos either. None of my bees wax. :-)

      When people ask me how I am on a bad day, I always say fine...it's just easier! I hate talking about bad days.

      Delete
  7. What a fantastic post! I've thought a lot about this topic since I believe there are many truths. Some lies are the truth. Their value depends on why the person lies, I think. Your lie was a beautiful offering.

    Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Reya. Intention and mindfulness seem to be key factors. In the case of the lost dog I really did feel that my version of the truth was completely plausible, and that it might help him overcome his feelings of sadness/guilt two decades later. I just regret forgetting to tell him that one of the reasons his dog was so welcome in her new home was that she loved children.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Much like Ellen said, I think it's a lie if you're trying to get away with something. It's more of a kindness if you're avoiding hurting someone. What I've always found fascinating was that lying comes so naturally to us humans. Little ones think they have invented it and are always so shocked at how easily we see through their transparency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's bad to lie for your own profit.
      Some children are more prone to mistruths than others. Our boys were less skillful at it than our daughter, who was a confidant little liar. :)

      Delete
  10. I would have welcomed such a lie about a lost pet.

    Greetings from Minneapolis,

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pearl! I'll lie to you any time you want. :)

      Delete

Talk to me.