Reub's journey

02 July 2016

Celebration


Love is as powerful as death.
Solomon 8:6

What a week it has been, filled with beauty so deep that it is hard to find words.



It was a spectacular Saturday in Boston, perfect weather on the day that my son married his best friend.



  A wedding is one of life's great celebrations, and so when asked if I cried during the ceremony, I have to say no, I only smiled and smiled.


 
 It was a day of supreme joy.




Afterwards we visited friends in Vermont, and then as we headed back home we learned that John's father passed away.



John's dad has been a wise, kind, and patient patriarch of the family, a role model for all of us. This is a picture of him two years ago, dancing at age 96 with our daughter at her wedding.



Here is a pic from 5 years ago at age 93, working on one of the 200 houses he helped to build with Habitat for Humanity. Ninety eight years is a long time to grace the planet with good will.  I am filled with gratitude that this beautiful person was part of my life for nearly half that time.



I flipped the wall calendar's page today, a few days into the month already. The word of the month is "celebrate." Celebrating a marriage is obvious and easy, but you know, celebrating my father-in-law's good life is an equally profound pleasure.



Anything you lose comes around in another form.
Rumi

20 comments:

  1. Bless you, Kerry, for this beautiful tribute to Dad, and for the reminder that life, love, death form a circle. As part of our family shared the joy of two weddings last weekend, some of us were sharing the end of one's life and preparing him to once again see the love of his life in the next life. And it goes on and on: smiles, tears, laughter, sorrow, but through it all there is love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful way to look at death. Celebrating a life well lived can be poignantly joyous. Rumi is my favorite for observations that ring true. The wedding looked a lovely occasion - wish we'd had time to get together. Maybe next summer when I venture to the west coast...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pauline. Yes, let's meet up, and maybe next time we can convince your sisters that it's safe to go on a hike in the woods together! I had the feeling they thought you were nuts to meet up with an online "stranger!" ;)
      Also,perhaps at some point I will get to see more of MA than just the Boston area.

      Delete
  3. A beautiful post of celebration! Congratulations to the young couple. May their lives be as full as your father-in-law's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your son's wedding and I'm sorry to hear of your father in law's passing. Your FIL sounded like a wonderful man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When family members are so actively alive into their late nineties, there is nothing for it but to celebrate their life well lived. I am inspired just reading this and the saying, "You are only as old as you feel" comes to mind. Thank you for sharing, Kerry. Some aging is luck, some is good genes, but there is also so much to be said for looking after yourself, for helping
    others and having the ability to make wise decisions like marrying your best friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful comment, Linda! All true. :)

      Delete
  6. Sweet couple and beautiful wedding. Know you were so proud and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two passages: both worth noting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Could've titled this post "Passages."

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous photos. Gorgeous couple! :-)

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting. I love the look of simplicity with the wedding. I didn't cry when my girls were married either, I was so happy but no tears. I love both my sons in law.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading this gives me the hope I have been looking for. I just put my girl Penelope, on Prozac today. She's a 150 lb mastiff with a terrible fear aggression issue. I have been working with a behaviorist/trainer for the past 6 months with only small improvements. Strangers still cannot go near her without potential consequences. I refuse to give up. I have been so sad for so long about this and reading this has given me the hope I've been searching for. However, I've read that a side effect can be increased aggression. I do not know how common that is but it terrifies me. The last thing I want to do is make my girl more scared or fearful. I just want her to be at peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true that in a minority of cases aggression can increase. Let's hope that's not the case with your dog, but you'll have to give it some time and continue training. Even if P improves, you'll always have to be cautious with strangers. Good luck!

      Delete

Talk to me.