Reub's journey

18 September 2016

All kinds of signs

My camera and I arrived separately for a recent trip to Austria (thanks Lufthansa), so there are a few hundred less photos than there might normally be for a trip like that.  Still, it's fun to look through the pics.

 
 I love the signs above cafes and other businesses in Europe's historic districts. So classy.


Even McDonalds looks amazing.


I try to avoid American fast food while visiting other countries, but we almost made an exception for this one in Budapest. This was the first McD's east of the Iron Curtain during the Cold War and for awhile it was a symbol of protest against Communism. I like it for its stylized iron-curtainy lions.



Could cannabis in any way be construed as an energy drink? At first I thought Subway was selling it.



Umm, what was I saying about classiness? Not sure whether this cringe-worthy hot dog advertisement in Salzburg, Austria, was designed to attract or repel American tourists but I was simultaneously laughing and grossed-out.


 Political statements abound on posters and decals. This one says "Every human has a right to human rights." Obviously tensions have been running high with the influx of war refugees. Austria has taken on a large share of refugees in the past year, most of them being deported from neighboring Hungary.


 Graffiti is a form of protest: #refugeeswelcome

 "Why would you tell little kids to go back to a war?" Well, Hungary, why indeed?
 


Beware of storms and always keep your dogs on leashes
Now THAT is sound advice.

20 comments:

  1. I agree, the hot dog kinda grossed me out! And what kind of place is a "coctail " cafe? Love your pics and glad to see you got home safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Budapest has some sketchy cafes, and I never managed to go into any of them. Fun to take pictures of them though!

      Delete
  2. From classy to that hot dog...funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose the hot dog is classy in its own way. Oh never mind, maybe not.

      Delete
  3. I was in Germany many years ago, and just loved the creative metal signs hanging above each shop. Thanks for sharing some of your vacation photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Germany is also a great place to visit if you like these old signs,right?

      Delete
  4. The refugee problem is not an easy one. A sad situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Canada has done such a good job. May we learn from you.

      Delete
  5. You are brave. I NEVER pack a camera. It is always with me. As important as my passport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never do either...just this ONCE>-<grrrrrr. NEVER again!!! Even though it did cause a slow-down going through *&%#! security in Frankfurt on the way home. They pulled it out and checked it for explosives.

      Delete
  6. yeah, the hot dog was definitely creepy. and I do like that art deco lion holding the light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the hot dog was a one of a kind. I don't want to see it again.

      Delete
  7. really like the first couple of business signs. very cool. the hot dog is icky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...who knew. Thanks for sharing these great signs from around the world. I didn't even know that I wanted to know this:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! If you're anything like me, it will soon be forgotten.

      Delete
  9. Interesting finds for sure. That hot dog.. I dunno!

    It would make me nuts to be separated from my camera. I'm glad you two were reunited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably won't pack my camera separately again any time soon.

      Kinda wish I had actually gone in the hot dog shop to see if they really sold hot dogs. Plus, all of this talk about hot dogs is making me hungry for a hot dog, which I rarely eat but now want. With yellow mustard.

      Delete
  10. Lovely post and great photos. Thanks.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.