Reub's journey

31 July 2017

Requa

I just returned from a trip to California. For some reason it's easy to forget how close we are to beautiful northern CA, but maybe that's because Oregon is loaded with distracting beauty of its own. Halfway between us and Arcata, CA, lies the tiny dot of a town known as Requa. It is the ancestral home of the Yurok tribe, and we like to linger there where the Klamath river enters the Pacific Ocean.


This is a sacred place for the Yuroks. The rock standing in the water is associated with legends still told about her: she will see that your misdeeds will have consequences on those that you love. How true that is.


A salmon leaps out of the water between two boats. Catch me if you can! A vulture watches hopefully in the foreground.
The mornings here are misty and cool; this week the river was loaded with salmon fishermen.


 We watched a little boy and his dachshund. It was some time before I realized he had a large salmon laid out on the seat behind him.


Requa lies in the heart of redwood country, a nano-point in the larger world. Almost everybody rushes past on nearby highway 101. But if you are ever in that part of the world, maybe you should stop.

15 comments:

  1. It looks like a great spot, and you have captured it very well with some fine shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you AC. It is a great spot, a little rough around the edges, but that makes it even better.

      Delete
  2. Who knew such a place existed in the U.S.A. Wish I could head there right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So when you go, let me know! We'll do a meet-up!

      Delete
  3. I love the forests of Northern CA. I'd love to plan a trip there someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You take the best photos of places like this. I would love to see what you'd do and say in that part of the world. And how you would plan a trip to the Trinity area.

      Delete
  4. looks lovely. I've driven through northern California but never stopped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SOOOO worth a stop! If only for a short walk in the redwoods.

      Delete
  5. Hello, gorgeous photos of the California coast. The boy with the dog is a great shot. Hubby and I visited the Redwoods Nat'l park many years ago. I would like to go again. Great series of photos. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always great to see your images of beautiful places. There are so many little places like that in the world where we just have to stop and linger a while to appreciate them. So glad you did! Love the photo and the child in the boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NZ certainly has its share of similar places. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Breathtaking pictures ! I feel nice to be back to blogging after a long break !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello there RR! I'm not so very active myself, am I! But here you are. When's your next visit to Idaho?

      Delete
  8. I remember one trip to OR to visit my son and traveling past that very spot. We stopped only for a short while on our journey south, but I recognized it immediately. Thanks for the memories and for the gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.