Reub's journey

13 October 2014

Offerings



Most days Ed and Reub and I go on multiple short walks. Sometimes these excursions are ordinary and once in awhile they aren't.



A couple of weeks ago we came upon wood rat nests on and above the path, not far from the house at all, a one minute walk.



Funny, private little creatures minding their own business, kind of like me.



Wood rats are pack rats. I take them offerings: bay leaves, acorns, a pop-top, a green bean. These objects have moved a few inches, all of them, as if they have been examined. The green bean was mostly consumed. I feel appreciated, but I am not certain.

I imagine a little rodent, dressed during the day in a tiny mid-18th century French gown, blue, enjoying haricots verts, waiting for nightfall, when she changes into the attire of a lady bandit... oh never mind. It's probably not so. But there is no proof, really, that she's just an ordinary rat. We do not know for sure.

Here's the thing...


Today I set out with Ed and Reub down the path.



I squinted...in the middle of the path which is used almost exclusively by myself and my dogs, and just 20 feet before we come to the rats' abodes...



...is a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon beer.



I was born and raised breathing the fumes of the Pabst brewery's hops in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I can't help but think I am being given an offering. A perfect gift, but from whom?



Call it the remnant of a kid's unfulfilled experiment in the woods. I don't know, though. Seems like the kid would have finished the beer, or hidden it. And that expiration date, does it mean the 22nd of this year, or will this can last until 2214? You tell me.

But I know this. That PBR was totally meant for me, no matter who left it. I wish to believe that it was offered by my friends, the Dusky-Footed Wood Rats. I don't know where they got it.

34 comments:

  1. Obviously the rats are beer drinkers. See the discarded pull tab near the green bean? They should not liter however they are kind to share their PBR. Meanwhile I definitely would have chosen the green bean too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I picture the two of them in leder hosen, little felt caps on their heads, with a feather in each: "nach einmal bier!!" Makes sense.

      Delete
  2. That rat dragged it as far as he could before giving up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, then set it upright in the center of the path...maybe he meant to return for it. Maybe I should put it back.

      Delete
  3. oh, that's cute! and creepy if someone else was out there (other than the rat!) yes, pbr still means wisconsin to me, too, even though they've just been bought by the russians. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? Bought by Russians? Will there be pbr vodka?

      Delete
  4. That's a cute story! Sounds like the rats appreciated you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. That's what I choose to believe!

      Delete
  5. PBR - I have consumed gallons of that swill. No more, thank you.

    The rat ... well ... wow.

    A beautiful post, as always. Magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My ability to discern good beer has improved since moving to the Pacific NW, but every once in awhile? Nothing like a good ol' cheap pbr. :)

      Delete
  6. I love the whimsy with which you think. Fanciful and fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the alternative is to get mad at the teen-agers/mountain bikers/homeless types who also may have left that beer...this is just more fun. :)

      Delete
  7. It would take a gang of rats to move that can of beer. Did you drink it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's pretty heavy for one rat. But I know there are at least two rats...so...picture that. The pbr is in the fridge, and even though it is my birthday today, I didn't drink it. But I will.

      Delete
  8. Well, how nice of those rats, I say. No good deed goes unnoticed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That first photo is exhibition/award material. :-) Thanks.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They probably stole the can from the kids and set it there for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. This is what I believe. I have not yet drunk it. Drank it?

      Delete
  11. In my first apartment I had a huge poster of a can of Pabst. Used to be a southern staple. Your posts are always so entertaining and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you still have the poster, Gail? Now pbr is still a staple. A classic!

      Delete
  12. I think the rat could not open it and just left it there, maybe for you! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Who ever opened a can of beer gone bad anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welllllllllll. I have. But most recently I bought pbr as slug bait, and drank the extra cans in moments of weakness.

      Delete
  14. Cheers!
    I am certain the rats left the beer for you. It’s well in date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get to it before the end of the year. Either that, or I have another 200 years.

      Delete
  15. RATS ARE HIPSTERS. Huh. Who knew? Well, upon reflection ... it does seem apropos.

    Wonderful photo story, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rats ARE hipsters and vice-verse! It makes sense. Ha!

      Delete

Talk to me.