Reub's journey

09 October 2014

Ride at dusk


It was near Fossil, OR, that we spent a few days on a ranch. One afternoon, just as the day was turning to dusk we rode up into the hills. There were three of us: a handsome wrangler named Colton, John, and myself.



Okay, four of us if you count Colton's dog, who was curious about the black and white magpie scolding him nearby. Oreo-like creatures, both of them.



Up and up we went. In the distance there was the screen of an outdoor theater. Colton said it was hard to get to, but if you had an ATV or 4 wheel drive vehicle you could catch the occasional movie shown there under the wide empty expanse of the central Oregon sky. Makes you want to go, doesn't it?



 Actually, there's enough drama in the landscape that no movie could hope to match.



 Late afternoon sun turned the world golden.



 When the moon began to rise, we knew it was time to head down.



 Back to the ranch with its wooden buildings and neatly stacked piles of hay.



 
 In the waning light John brought out his guitar and played to a rapt audience.



 Finally it grew dark and the huge moon rose in all her glory. It was a great day.

28 comments:

  1. gosh, just beautiful, romantic country - and your narration made it so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy beautiful, and you're right-quite romantic at sunset. :)

      Delete
  2. Just beautiful scenes. Gotta love the serenaded cattle. Sweet moments and captures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cattle came from the far end of a large field, curious about the music. Then they lined up single-file so that all of them could have a front row seat.

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous day!!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thankful for so very many places still like this on Earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. When I go to places like this I try to fill up on them, so that later I can draw on the reserve, go back there in my head when I need to.

      Delete
  5. Wow, wonderful photos.. Looks like big sky country.. The moon rise is lovely.. A fun and scenic ride, thanks for sharing. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen, I imagine you live near similar country in Colorado.

      Delete
  6. Oh my! It all makes me want to move to big country and ride horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only a day's drive away, Rosaria! You could do it!

      Delete
  7. Wow, gorgeous! It's been a LOT of years since I sat astride a horse, and the thought of doing it again is wonderful. At my age, though, I don't think the reality would be all that swell. (Dammit.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, we were out for 3 hours, but took it at a very leisurely pace so there was no saddle soreness afterwards. Bit of torque to the knees though.
      If I can do it, I bet you can too.

      Delete
  8. The images are breath-taking. Thanks.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous breathtaking incredible outdoor pictures !

    ReplyDelete
  10. All so amazing. Would love the outdoor theater. Thanks for causing me to remember that I need to get some square hay bales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GA, You've got critters to feed. There's something pleasing about a fresh stack of hay bales, isn't there?
      That theater...I wonder how often it is used? I couldn't find any info on it.

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous scenery and beautiful skies. Plus - did you say a handsome wrangler?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. A handsome wrangler...there are pictures to prove it...he had the best chaps ever...

      Delete
    2. Looks like a great place, and a great way to explore it.

      Nice post.

      Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

      Delete
    3. Thanks Stewart. An easy-paced horseback ride is the best way for sure to see certain places. :)

      Delete
  12. The shot with the late afternoon sun is stunning. Would love to be anywhere in Oregon right now; I'd be that much closer to my daughter. I had to giggle at the cows listening to John serenade them with his guitar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, I think it's time for you to plan another trip this way.

      Delete
  13. I had no idea about fossils like that in Oregon. How interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.