Reub's journey

06 January 2015

A good start




December was a quiet month, so it seemed appropriate to have a quiet opening to the new year as well. We just spent the better part of the past week in a rented house overlooking Netarts bay, a mostly undeveloped place on the Oregon coast.


 
 You don't go to Netarts if your idea of a good time is shopping, movies, or man-made attractions.




 And you have to be the kind of person who doesn't mind spotty cell reception.



This is the place for long quiet walks on the beach.





You never know what you'll find...what is this anyway? The area abounds in many types of clams, oysters, and crabs, so my guess is that a shellfish of some kind made this star-shaped abode. It was too pretty to dig up, so I just left it alone.





 This is a view from our front window, just after sunset. (The pie in the sky is a reflection of a neon sign that could be lit up on the kitchen wall. Pretty cool.)




 Another look out the same window, taken at first light, just when the sun made it up over the hills behind us, and for a few minutes causing the three arched rocks to glow golden.



 Kelp. There is always kelp washed up with the tide.



 More kelp. I probably took too many pictures of it, but what an amazing plant.




We saw 4 dozen harbor seals, hundreds of water birds, and beautiful vistas in every direction. It was a sublime way to start the new year.


 May 2015 bring peace and beauty to your world too.

30 comments:

  1. my goodness. such peaceful and beautiful views!

    the kelp was rather eelish! and that abode looked like someone was sculpting a sand dollar out of the sand. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelp is kinda creepy. Yet I can't stop looking. We did find real sand dollars, unbroken! And it does look like a sand dollar copy cat.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Rosaria, you would know this better than anybody because you have chosen to spend your life there. From Italy to the Oregon coast...

      Delete
  3. WOW! Where are all the people? Beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joeh, the coast of Oregon is still pretty lonesome compared to the east coast. Come visit. We will show you.

      Delete
  4. Love this part of the Oregon coast! Nice pics of Three Arch Rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda I bet you've explored this yourself. It was a new place for us, chosen for its proximity to Portland so that our son & family could join us easily.

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for taking me along. It was gorgeous and mind-expanding. (I could not help upon seeing the kelp thinking of that odd scene in the movie Interstellar where kelp and frogs exist in the same water.) Great place for a vacation and most restorative way to start the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I must look for that movie! Interstellar.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. AC, I bet Canada has places like this too.

      Delete
  7. Lovely place to play. Been a few years since I was out there, I need a return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great place to dabble away in the sand at low tide. Come back & visit.

      Delete
  8. So beautiful Kerry. I thoroughly enjoyed my week on the Oregon coast last summer. so different from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen I wonder if your group will plan another coast gathering? I can't remember exactly where you were, but maybe it wasn't far from Netarts, which is near Tillamook.

      Delete
  9. I feel peaceful just gazing at the pictures. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. goodness, there are so many places I need to go. I love the peacefulness of this place. sometimes you just need a whole lot of "nothing" to make everything perfect. especially cell phone service ;)

    but with that said, this is a whole lot of beautiful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and you know I hardly missed the phone at all. :-)

      Delete
  11. Wow, what a beautiful place. How blessed you are to enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, beautiful images from your visit to the beach. I loved the Oregon coastline... A great place for walking on the beach.. Have a great evening and weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful collection of photos.. it's a lovely spot. And I love the creativity of your pie in the sky image. That really made me smile. Great start to the year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilary! It was a very nice start to 2015. Happy new year to you.

      Delete
  14. I've been on this very beach, made even more special now by your photos. Better even, than pie in the sky :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Pauline? That's so cool! You sure get around when you come to Oregon!

      Delete
  15. Your post and photos bring with them a sense of tranquillity which I love. Thanks.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll have to let my daughter know about this beach. Beautiful views! Love the Pie in the Sky shot. :) The last image of the dog is incredibly sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.